University of Alberta SLOWPOKE-2 Research Reactor
University of Alberta owns and is licensed to operate the Slowpoke-2 Research Reactor, located in Edmonton, AB. The CNSC has full-time, dedicated staff who periodically perform inspections to evaluate operations and to verify compliance with regulatory requirements and licence conditions.
- Facility information
- Latest CNSC facility-specific announcements
- Disclosure protocol
- Regulatory reporting
- Other key topics
Location: Edmonton, AB
Licensee: University of Alberta
Licence issued: July 1, 2013
Licence expires: June 30, 2023
Start of commercial operation: 1977
Licensing documentation: Request for copy of the University of Alberta’s SLOWPOKE-2 licence and licence condition handbook by email
The SLOWPOKE-2 reactor is a 20 kilowatt (thermal) sealed-container in-pool type research reactor located in the Dentistry/Pharmacy Building on the University of Alberta campus in Edmonton, AB.
Latest CNSC facility-specific announcements
- May 16, 2018: Notice of Hearing in Writing to consider an application from the U of A for the revocation of its Non-Power Reactor Licence following the decommissioning of its SLOWPOKE-2 reactor facility, as well as for the issuance of a licence to abandon.
- September 22, 2017: Decision on the request from University of Alberta to amend its non-power reactor licence for the decommissioning of the SLOWPOKE-2 reactor facility
As part of the CNSC's regulatory requirements, major licensees must have robust public information and disclosure programs in place. To obtain more information, visit the University of Alberta’s Public Information and Disclosure Program Web page.
- Regulatory actions
- Licensing requirements for Class II nuclear facilities
- Nuclear-related event reports
Other key topics
- Date modified: